The Stirbey Domain comprises an assembly of natural and historical monuments, part of the national patrimony. It belonged to the family of Barbu Ştirbey, prince of Wallachia, who, when designing the Domain, successfully combined the traditional values with modern innovations. Along the time, the Domain witnessed the development of the Romanian politics, by housing the Ştirbey family and receiving important guests.
Barbu Ştirbey inherited Ştirbey Domain from his adoptive father, but brought only few changes to the property, as he dedicated himself to his education and his political concerns. He later on left it to his son, Prince Alexandru Ştirbey. The latter arranged the park, built the Palace and the church, as well as numerous functional buildings, only partially preserved today. The following owner of the property was Barbu Alexandru Ştirbey, administrator of the Royal Domains and councillor of King Ferdinand, who, among other achievements, introduced the Domain into the social circuit of the high aristocracy of Bucharest. The Palace’s gates opened for important figures of that time, such as writers Ioan Slavici and Vasile Alecsandri, composer George Enescu, Romanian politicians Lascăr Catargiu, Titu Maiorescu, Carol Davilla and Gheorghe Gheorghiu Dej, the Soviet leader Nikita Hruşciov or the French actors Jean Marais and Jean-Paul Belmondo.
The Palace remained in history as the place where the peace with the Central Powers was negotiated in 1918, during World War I. Later on, Hruşciov signed the documents relating to the withdrawal of the Soviet troops from Romania in 1964.
Now reopened to the public, the Domain was rehabilitated and now constructions were added to meet the needs of a more modern public. Currently, Ştirbey Domain includes five spaces suitable for different types of events: Ştirbey Palace, “Queen Maria” Hall, the Summer Pavilion, the Lawn and the church with the chapel. The Palace is built in Gothic style, but also shows other characteristics belonging to the Romanian architecture of the 19th century. The overall refinement is created by the Romantic decorations, the well-preserved original windows and doors, the oak gothic-like decorations, a fireplace of white Carrara marble and the walls with classic wooden decorations.
Other important parts of the Domain are the Trinity Chapel, the park with the 14,000sqm lake and the water tower. The Trinity Chapel, built in 1885 and perfectly preserved to the date, is one of the main historical and architectural monuments of the Ştirbey Domain. Built in an eclectic architectural style, at the end of the 19th century, the church’s interior is painted by Gheorghe Tattarescu.
The park was built around 1864, immediately after the construction of the palace. Its romantic style offers the visitors the chance to stroll along the alleys and to admire the natural diversity of plants, dominated by the 400 years old trees, as well as the beauty of the central elements: the inner lake.
Visitors can choose to taste some of the centuries-old recipes carefully prepared by the chef of the Domain’s restaurant, take a guided tour of the property or relax in the park, while admiring the beauty of both the architectural masterpieces and natural landmarks.