Mogoasoaia Palace was built in 1698 -1702 by Constantin Bracoveanu – a famous Romanian Voivode. The Palace is an architectural monument having the façade dominated by traditional staircase balconies, and by the arcades and columns with capitals, specific to the “Brancovenesc” (Brancovan) style.
Mogosoaia Palace has also some Byzantine decorative features and adornments which join stylistic elements characteristic both of the Italian Renaissance and the Baroque.
The Mogoşoaia Palace is not located in Bucharest proper, but some 15 kilometers from the capital. However, by its historical background, cultural significance and leisure opportunities it makes available, it is one of the most notable tourist sights in the surroundings of Bucharest, and it is well worth a visit by tourists who want to search out in depth the major sights nearby the capital of Romania.
The Mogoşoaia Palace proper is but a part, the oldest, in fact, of a wider historical and architectural complex, which also comprises a guesthouse, a watchtower, a princely kitchen, a vault, an ice-house and a greenhouse. The church (dedicated to Saint Gheorghe, and built by Constantin Brâncoveanu) which is located right outside of the gate can also be deemed part of the domain. The palace was built under Constantin Brâncoveanu and, despite the fact the date when the construction works started remains unknown, what is certain is the works were completed in 1702. The palace bears the name of the widow of a local nobleman called Mogoş.
The building reunites Venetian architectural elements and Ottoman influences in an overall structure dominated by what is generally designated with the term of Brâncoveanu style architecture. The palace, as well as the entire domain, remained the property of the Brâncoveanu family for more than one century, and it understandably went though periods when it was pillaged or confiscated and deprived of its use as princely residence.
All in all, it was the Bibescu family who continued the works of the Brâncoveanus, who either renovated or enriched the complex with new structures. Unsurprisingly, the domain was confiscated during the communist regime. At present, the complex is opened to the visiting public. Inside the castle there is also a Museum of Brâncoveanu Style Art which can be visited.